Monday, February 21, 2011

ObamaCare: My 90 Year-Old Mom Kicked Out of the Hospital

For those of you who still think ObamaCare is a good idea, here’s how it’s affecting my family at the very moment I’m writing this…

My 90 year-old mother has taken ill. High fever (103), throwing up, weakness, spasmodic cough and significant respiratory issues. Her neighbor took her to the ER. The doctor says that "due to the changes in Medicare under ObamaCare" (the doctor's own words) he could not admit her into the hospital, even though he thought she should be admitted.

Kicked out of the hospital, even though she’s also a heart patient. Kicked out of the hospital, even though she runs a risk of developing pneumonia. 

Would anyone like to try convincing me at this point that the rumors of death panels within ObamaCare are false? Before the new rules took effect, she'd have been admitted without question. We're getting a nurse to stay with her so that (hopefully) she gets proper care.

Those of you who pray, please pray for my mom.

UPDATE 6:00 PM / Feb 21…

The ER doc correctly interpreted the rules. Mom didn't "meet the Medicare criteria" for a hospital overnighter. 103 degree fever, violent coughing, nausea, AND a heart condition. No clue how sick one has to be to qualify.

My older bro & sister in-law are staying there 2nite. A Visiting Nurse will then stay 3 nights. She will be examined and treated as needed. She's stable and feels slightly better but very weak. Taking meds for symptoms and antibiotics.

Thanks to everyone at Free Republic and FaceBook for many kind words.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

what rules did he correctly interpret? you looked it up i suppose? where's your "research"? I can't find it posted anywhere on your blog. sounds like a lot of talk to me. you make the accusation then prove it. otherwise you've just lost all credibility.

Alan said...

Anonymous said: "what rules did he correctly interpret?"...

People who know me know I don't just make up stories. This isn't an article. It's a personal blog post. Take a look back thru the archives and you'll notice that any post that needs to be sourced is in fact sourced quite well.

My statement regarding "criteria" is a quote from the ER doctor at the hospital. And no, I won't name the doctor or the hospital because Mom wants her privacy. And that's a helluva lot more important than your opinion of my credibility.

gib_rebeg said...

I pray for you and your family in this time of need. As well as pray she pulls through and improves.

Henry Stern, LUTCF, CBC said...

Interesting post. I have some questions I wonder if you'd care to address:

First, are you familiar with EMTALA?

Second, what part of ObamaCrap do you believe prevented your mother from being admitted? I understand that you are merely repeating what her neighbor supposedly heard, but surely some curiosity (if not skepticism) would lead you to find out, wouldn't it?

Finally, how does correctly interpreting longstanding Medicare rules indict ObamaCrap?

Alan said...

Henry Stern:
I wasn't repeating "what her neighbor supposedly heard." I was repeating what the doctor told my mother. He's the one who stated that she did not "meet the criteria under ObamaCare" for hospitalization. This info was confirmed by my brother once he arrived later this morning (I live out of state). As to skepticism / curiosity, I am awaiting a call-back from the Medicare Admin at my local hospital so I can pepper him with questions. We should talk tomorrow.

I am familiar with the Patient Anti-Dumping Law. This does not apply in my mother's case. She was treated at the ER and prescribed medication. Our objection is over the fact that she was sent home in spite of her age and the severity of her symptoms. A 90 year-old heart patient with 103 degree fever, spasmodic coughing, vomiting and respiratory distress should have been hospitalized.

Alan said...

gib_rebeg:
Thank you! She was feeling marginally better this afternoon. Family will be staying with her tonight and into the day tomorrow. We also have a visiting nurse that will arrive in the morning and spend 72 hrs with her.

She's been quite healthy for her age. Still drives, tends her bird feeders, etc. Hopefully she'll pull thru without lasting negative effects. Thanks again. :-)

langoley said...

PLEASE,have them keep a close eye on her.My mother went to the ER on thur. last week with a fever,chills,heart history,while doing aCT scan she QUIT BREATHING!!After 15 min of excellent work,they got her tubed,resperator,etc.She is still in the hospitol.I hope your mother gets better soon,just please keep a close eye out.

Anonymous said...

Wishing a speedy recovery to your mother. I would like to know more about why your mom didn't "meet the Medicare criteria" under Obamacare. Hoping to hear more on this blog. Thanx.

gib_rebeg said...

Any update on your moms condition? Further news about what took place?

Alan said...

To gib_rebeg, et al:

Doc sez she has acute bronchitis. She's feeling a bit better. No fever now for a couple of days, but the anti-biotics make her rather nauseous. Still has a painful, rasping cough but it's not as bad as before. She's hoping to be up for a trip to the grocery store by Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes and prayers. Looks like she's on the mend. :-)